Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I caved...I'm a blogger now.

So I never thought I'd start a blog, in fact I was very against it. However, I've learned over time that it's imperative for me to get my thoughts out there and since I'm on the computer 24/7 for my job...it seemed like the perfect time to take that leap. I know I'm too lazy to handwrite all my thoughts down, so it only seemed appropriate to start up yet another social media outlet-so here I go....

The last time I shared my thoughts on the world wide web was through an old friend called Xanga, haha. That was the cool thing to do my freshman year of college. So I would stay up with my roommate Bethany and plays Sims on the computer, then follow it up with a little Xanga post. Unfortunately, I can't remember my password but would love to go back and look at how trivial my problems were back in the day, though I'm sure I thought they were monumental at the time.

So I'll be 24 one month from today...hard to believe that June 2nd will mark my 2 years spent in Nashville so far. When I think back to the good ole days at Samford, I often get nostalgic considering all of my best friends (minus a few) stayed in Birmingham. I left everything there to go and explore a new city, make new friends, have new experiences. All of which I've been blessed to accomplish...but there are definitely those times when I miss the people that know me better than anyone and unfortunately they're now a phone call away instead 5 minutes away.

All of that to say, I'm still thankful to be in this wonderful city and have learned a lot in my "post grad" life. I've developed a new love for music, which has been great. I always enjoyed music-but I now have the opportunity to go to concerts a lot, seeing that I do live in Music City. I've also learned to enjoy NFL and NHL, which I thought would never happen. I've had great spiritual discussions with people that have different world views than me, which was rare and hard to come by before due to the fact that I went to a Christian school from Kindergarden to my senior year of college. Obviously not everyone I went to school with was a Christian, but I was immersed in a culture where it was understood that everyone knew about Jesus. Another lesson I have learned is that you really have to be assertive and make the extra effort to make new friends that are like minded and truly seek out the people you want to invest your time in. Really, I could go on and on about what I've learned...but the truth is I'm still learning every day.

It's just a strange phase of life because all of my friends are in different stages, we're not all on the same page anymore. Some are married, some have children, some are engaged, and some are also single like me. But when I look back and think that I could've been married by now and I'm not, it just further solidifies the fact that I'm not in control of my life even though sometimes I want to be. The Lord knows His plan for me even though I always try to have my own agenda. He knows what is best and is teaching me patience to wait on Him and believe in His promises. It's also comforting to know that other people are going through these "quarter life happenings" with me, no matter what phase of life they're in. So that's why I gave my blog this title. I am a simple, Christ seeking, almost 24 year old girl going on a journey of unknown excitement, and I'm thrilled to see the Lord's plan revealed for my life.

In the words of John Mayer, I am not going through a "quarter life crisis", but instead I'm embarking on my mid 20's with zeal and trust that the Lord has me right where He wants me, for now.

6 comments:

  1. Yay!! I love new bloggers! Miss you Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! So excited to see you blogging! It is a whole other world! But it has seriously opened up some amazing and exciting doors for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steele! Oh my gosh! I had no clue!! You didn't even mention this last night. I am so excited and can't wait to read all of the postings. Love you so, so much. SB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren---How cool! I'm thinking blogging is like keeping a journal or keeping a diary in days gone by. Except this is way more public!

    Guess if I started a blog, I'd have to refer to it as halflifehappenings......

    jb

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH, Steele. I'm so glad, newest follower right here! :) You'll love this...sort of addicting.

    ReplyDelete